Friday, February 12, 2016

Fingerling Potatoes, Dragon Carrots and Lettuce leftovers

It was another gorgeous day today - so I felt compelled to do something in the garden :o)

I went to NG and bought two bags of compost - but wound up only using one - to supplement the soil for the Fingerling Potatoes I hope to plant on Sunday.  At first I was going to put them in the back garden bed, but that bed is almost completely in the shade these days, so I decided to find space in the regular garden.  I mixed in the compost and watered the soil, so the space should be all ready for my potatoes in two days.

I also decided to use up some seeds I had in the fridge.  I had three bags of seeds from my lettuce plants two years ago (2014).  I doubt they will produce anything, but it was either put them in the ground or throw them out. Since they are two years old, I went ahead and added a bunch of seeds to each spot. I have three different bags of seeds, so I made three different holes for the seeds.  We'll see.

Along the same vein, Kyle purchased some "Dragon" carrots last year.  He got them too late to get in the ground, so I saved them for this year.  Now, on the packet, it actually says "Germination is slow and uneven, so be patient." Not words of encouragement for me.  So I just poured the whole seed packed down on small row of soil.  We'll wait and see what happens :o)

The sedd packet says:  You can sow carrot seeds as soon as the soil in your garden can be worked in the spring (about 3-4 weeks before the last frost). Seeds need consistent moisture until they emerge. Germination on carrot seed is slow and uneven. The light seed can be blown away by the wind or washed away when you water the beds. Sow the seeds less than an inch apart and thin them to 2-4 inches after they grow to a few inches. Roots will mature in 90 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips