Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Prepping potatoes


I recently bought some seed potatoes from NG.  I purchased 1 1/2 pounds of Yukon Go,d, 1 lb of Red Potatoes and 1/2 pound of fingerlings.


Today, I prepared the Yukon Gold and Red potatoes by cutting them into smaller chunks, making sure each piece had at least one nice looking eye.  I had to cut the Yukon Gold into fewer pieces, as they had fewer eyes.

I coated the potatoes in ash and will let them sit inside for a day or two to scab over before planting them.

In all, I wound up with 10 Yukon Gold potatoes chunks, 13 Red Potato, and 14 Fingerling potatoes (I didn't cut these up as they are already so small.

My plan is to mix some compost into the far garden bed and plant these guys. Hopefully they will do well in the sand soil out there.  They won't get as much sun as the main bed, but they should get at least six hours per day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips