Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Germination countdown

Having put a couple of seeds in the ground (or in cups), I am now counting down the days until they are supposed to germinate.

Radishes - Time of emergence:  January 28 - Feb 2nd
The soonest to germinate will probably by the Radishes.  They say they germinate between 5 and 10 days.  And I planted them on January 23rd.  So they could come up as early as this Thursday or as long as a week from today.  Of course, with the cold front that came in today, the longer duration might be more likely.


Update:  January 28 - a few sprouts appeared, and even more on January 29th!  It is always so exciting to see seed sprout

Beets - Time of emergence: January 27th - February 13th
The package says 4-21 days to emerge - which is a really wide spread!  It could be as early as tomorrow or as late as February 13th before I know whether any of these have germinated.


Update:  January 29 - one possible sprout has appeared. It could be a weed, but it could also be a beet. I'll keep an eye on them in the next few days to see if I can see anything.  

Tomatoes - Time of emergence: January 29th - Feb 5th
It says germination takes 7-14 days, so I should know by February 5th whether or not they will germinate.

Update:  January 29 - absolutely nothing.  I have the seeds in one of the brown cardboard cups. I am now wondering if the cups cause the seeds to dry out to quickly to allow them to germinate.  I am watering every day, but by the next morning, they are all dried out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips