Monday, May 11, 2015

Harvesting potatoes, carrots and onions

It sort of makes me want some stew :o)

The onions started falling over about a week ago.  The notes I read said to let them stay in the ground ten days or so past falling over, so they are probably pretty ready.  I picked about six of them today, and they look great.  I am hoping to get the rest of them up this week.






I have pulled up two or three carrots in the last week.  The web says that when the crowns get to be between 1/2 and 3/4 inch, they are ready to pick.  The ones I picked were around an inch in diameter... Despite being somewhat short, I think they are ready.  So today I picked around a dozen.  The sunshine carrots did not grow very well at all.  They were long and thin, none of them even 1/2 inch in diameter.  But the others did pretty good.  I thinned the carrots out in March or April, but I think next year I'll thin them even more, since many were quite small.  The web also says you can leave them In the ground for at least two weeks after they are matures, so I think I am just going to pick them as I need them in the next few weeks.  Hopefully some of the smaller ones will grow if the ones around them are pulled?  I don't know.

And I'd decided to pluck a few potatoes.  With all the rain, their leaves are getting  fungus on them.  In fact, everything is so packed in the garden, that everything looks sort of. Okay.  So, I thought I'd pull a few up and see what I had.  Some nice looking potatoes :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips