Saturday, March 21, 2015

Some new plants for the side bed

Having just come away from the brown of winter, I have decided I want to add more green to my side bed.  Also, I have a bunch of shrubs.  Some are evergreen, some deciduous, but there isn't a whole lot to fill it out.  So I decided that the evergreen I wanted to add should be low lying plants to fill out the areas in between and in front of the shrubs.  Preferably ones with texture.

On a whim, I went to Lowe's to see what they might have. I went there with a couple plants in mind: Purple Heart and Bamboo Muhly (which I didn't find) and Artemisia.  




Artemisia
I have been wanted Artemisia because I love the flowly look of it, and the fact that it is evergreen.  


When I went to Lowe's, at first I didn't find the Artemisia, because it was on the clearance race.  I asked an employee to verify they were on clearance, and he told me he'd sell them to me for $0.50.  Score!  

I bought six, got to the car, and then went back to get four more.  I really don't know where all I am going to put them, but considering that I spent a total of $5, I'm not too worried.  I put three in the bed, but couldn't figure out where to put the other pile of them.  

Maybe when I cultivate the front?  

Dianthus
I also picked up two Dianthus Peppermint Star that were also on clearance for $3 each.  

I have two Dianthus that I planted last year, and they have done so well -- meaning they lived through both the summer and winter ;o)  -- that I wanted to get some more.  

A passing customer told me she'd never had any luck with Dianthus wintering through, but I thought I'd give them a try.  

This was a total random purchase, but at $3 each, I thought it was worth a try.





Purple Oxalis
They also had a Purple Oxalis on clearance, that I thought might look nice in the shady back portion.  Here is the info I found on it:

"Purple shamrock grows in a clump habit of striking purple foliage. Its triangular-shaped leaves fold along the vein and look like butterflies fluttering above slender stems. Oxalis is a fun little gift for gardeners who want something blooming year round. Fast, easy and cheerful. Don’t forget to allow oxalis plants to go dormant during the summer months. This period allows oxalis to rest and prepare for the next
growing season. "

I originally put the oxalis in the middle of the bed, but after reading some, it sounds like it appreciates some shade, so I moved it next to the bird bath.

Veronica Georgia Blue
Another spur of the moment purchase (maybe I shouldn't just head off to Lowe's to see what they have??)  A small ground cover with blue flowers in the spring.  I saw the little plants, and fell in love.  I do love blue flowers!  I picked up two.

Lamb's Ear
While I didn't head out specifically to get Lamb's ear, it was on my evergreen list, as it is drought resistant, evergreen and has a fun texture.  

This plant was not on sale, but I really like the way it looks.  After I planted it the first time, I read some more about it, and it apparently also wilts in the hot sun, so I moved it closer to the back of the yard, where it will get some afternoon shade -- maybe.








Purple Heart
I ran out to Natural Gardener and picked up three small purple heart - one variegated.  I thought I read they could live in full sun, but everyone tells me they need some shade.  I guess I'll plant them and see how they do. Total cost for the whole set was $34 - not bad!  Now we'll wait and see what is living a year from now :o)

Transplanted salvia
Last year I found a small salvia rooted next to my big Salvia Gregorii in the porch bed.  I decided to transplant it to the side bed.  We'll see how it grows in its new spot.  

Transplanted foxglove
This guy is so beautifully in April - but it lives outside the fence.  I decided to move it inside the fence.  Unfortunately, after I moved it, I read that it is best to transplant in the fall.  Already the leaves are looking quite wilted with this little guy :o(  I'm thinking it was a mistake (aka lesson learned) to move this guy.

Transplanted Pride of Barbados
Dave has been growing these all year.  I decided spring would be a good time to put them in the ground.  I put them in the same line as the tiny transplants from last year.  I'm not sure if any of the old ones will come up, and the new ones are looking even smaller and punier.  But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips