Friday, March 20, 2015

Mid-March Garden update

With two days of rain in the forecast, I wanted to get the last of my spring veggies in.  So, I ran out to the Natural Gardener right when it opened.  They didn't have any plants of zucchini or tomatillo so I purchased seeds.  They did have some pepper plants, though. I also planted the cucumber seeds we have had for a couple of weeks and also picked up some basil and thyme.

Right now the potatoes are just starting to come up.  Looks like they are a little behind last year.  I have seven that have come up, but hope for a few more in the next few days.






● Currently Harvesting

Cilantro
I had to pull some up to make room for the peppers.  Some of the plants are just starting to bloom.  

Asparagus
Planted from Crowns: Jan 20
First Harvest: February 8th
Last Harvest: February 15th

I planted 15 new crowns on Jan 20th. Looks like 7 of the new crowns have come up, with another 8 left over from last year.  I am done harvesting.  We got two meals out of them.

Lettuce
Transplanted: October 20th and January 20th 


The red lettuce has just started to bolt and is getting bitter.  The others are doing well!

● Hoping to harvest this month

Radishes
Crimson Giant
Planted from seed: Jan 20
Days to harvest: 30 days (February 20)

Actual harvest: Going on two months.  I am thinking I have one more week before I can pull some of these.  There are a few that I can see a red bulb on them.


Cabbage
Transplanted: January 20th
Days to harvest:  60 - 105 days (March 21 - May 5th)

Read in the Natural Gardener that now is the time to pull broccoli and cabbage, because some nasty insect will start attacking them.  I'd like to give this guy a few more days, because he has a very small head.  Maybe next week?

● Planted since last update
Cucumber
Homemade Pickles from Botanical Interests

Planted:  March 20
Days to emerge: 5 - 10 days (March 25 - March 30)  Actual date:  March 25
Days to Harvest: 55 days (May 14)

I planted a whole row of cucumbers along the fence in the garden. "Homemade pickles"  I haven't had a whole lot of luck with seeds - last year they all were eaten by something.  But I thought I'd give it another shot.

Tomatillo
Toma Verde from Botanical Interests
Planted: March 20
Days to emerge: 10 days (March 30)
Days to harvest:  65 days (May 24)

I also planted three mounds of tomatillo.  Last year one of my plants died, and since tomatillos needs two plants to fertilize, I never got anything from him. This time I am not taking any chances - I planted three of those. I planted them by the carrots, thinking that by the time the tomatillos got big, the carrots might be done.

Peppers - Sweet and Jalapeno
At this point, finding room in the garden is pretty tough.  I pulled up some of my cilantro to make room for on Hot Jalapeno (though in retrospect, I really wish I would have picked up the mild jalapeno) and one Sweet Bell Pepper.

Jalapeno Hot

Planted: March 20
Matures in 65 - 80 days (May 24 - June 8)

Sweet Bell Pepper
Planted:  March 20
Matures in 75 days (June 3)

Zucchini
Black Beauty Zucchini from Botanical Interests
Days to emerge: 5 - 10 days (March 25 - March 30) (Actual:  March 29)
Days to Harvest: 55 days (May 14)

I planted the zucchini in the sand box bed for two reason.  First, there was no room in the other bed, but also, I was kind of hoping that a new location might keep the squash vine borer away.

Basil
I also picked up two basil plants - sweet basil and a darker variety.  The sweet basil had two stems in the pot, so I separated them.  If I took away too much root, I'll purchase another and call it a lesson learned :o)  I have learned that we really like basil, and the part of the the plant we don't wind up using, we dry to keep us in dried basil threw the winter.

Thyme
Oh - and I picked up another thyme plant.  My thyme plant that I purchased five or so years ago has slowly whittled away to nothing.  So I thought I'd try again.  

I put the basil and thyme out in the side house bed with the Rosemary and oregano.

● Hoping to plant soon
The only other thing I'd like to plant is another eggplant bush.

I'd also like to plant some sweet potato in April

● Emerging this month
Potatoes
Seed potatoes planted: February 19
Yukon, Ratte and Red

Days to harvest:  Early May to mid-May, guessing from last year
I have seven potatoes showing their little tiny heads.  I am hoping a few more pop up over the next few days.

Zucchini, Tomatillo and Cucumber
Hoping to see these guys pop up in two weeks


● Hoping to harvest in April


Carrots
Snacking Carrots "Rotild" from Renee's Garden
Planted from seed:  Jan 20

Days to germinate: 10-20 (Actual:19 days February 8)
Days to Harvest:  70 (April 19)

Sunshine Carrots (Yellow and Orange mix)
Planted from seed:  Jan 20
Days to Germinate: 10 - 20 days  (Actual: 19 days February 8th)
Days to Harvest:  88  (May 7th based on germination)

Strawberries
Planted:  February 8
Days to harvest:  No idea, but I am expecting mid-April, based on when strawberries produce around here.

● Hoping to harvest in May

Onions
Planted from sets: Jan 20
Days to harvest:  4 months - based on last year's experience (May 20)

Garlic
Planted from sets:  I can't remember, sometime in the fall?
Months to harvest: I am thinking May. I will wait until the bottom leaves start to turn brown

Tomatoes
Plants planted March 7th
Days to harvest: 55 - 75 days (May 2 - May 22)

Celebrity, Firework, Yellow Pear, Roma

Leeks
Planted: March 8th
Days to mature: 75 - 120 days (Mid may)



Cucumber
Planted:  March 20
Days to emerge: 5 - 10 days (March 25 - March 30)
Days to Harvest: 55 days (May 14)

Peppers - Sweet and Jalapeno
Jalapeno Hot
Planted: March 20
Matures in 65 - 80 days (May 24 - June 8)

Sweet Bell Pepper
Planted:  March 20
Matures in 75 days (June 3)

Zucchini
Black Beauty Zucchini from Botanical Interests
Days to emerge: 5 - 10 days (March 25 - March 30)
Days to Harvest: 55 days (May 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips