Sunday, October 23, 2016

Some new plants

Two weeks ago, I planted a bunch of fall plants.  I was at a big store, and they had 12 packs of broccoli, cabbage and lettuce.  I didn't really want twelve, but the price was right.  Unfortunately, the seedlings were so small, that they didn't fare very well.  Cabbage worms ate most of the leaves on my cabbage and broccoli, and something, probably a rabbit, munched away all but two of my lettuce seedlings.

So I decided to pick up some new plants to supplement my previous plantings. You can see in the picture below how much bigger and healthier the new plants are then the two week old plants I previously put in the ground

Cabbage:  Fast Vantage - 60 days (December 22nd)
Compact and uniform. Leaves are thick and have an excellent crisp texture. Heads are very dense, hold well in the field, and can be attractively marketed with mini red romaines. Bolting and tipburn tolerant. For spring, summer, and fall. 

Cabbage:  Early Jersey Wakefield - 60 - 75 days (Dec 22nd - Jan 6)
Heirloom. This American cabbage is a favorite for early harvest, forming a conical, pointed, dark green head with a smooth, sweet flavor. The head is slow to split and slow to bolt. Holds in the garden for 2 to 3 weeks after maturity. Rich in vitamins and minerals. Some gardeners consider this the best tasting of all cabbages.
Romaine Lettuce: Dragoon
Compact and uniform. Leaves are thick and have an excellent crisp texture. Heads are very dense, hold well in the field, and can be attractively marketed with mini red romaines. Bolting and tipburn tolerant.

I also planted a small "Romaine Lettuce", no other additional info given.

New seedlings
With some better news than my transplants, the seedlings I put down all came up.  The first to appear were the radishes.  They showed up almost as soon as I planted them, like three days later!  And the rest showed up just a few days after that.  Now to keep them alive for the next two months!

Lots of carrots.  I am going to try and thin them in a few weeks.
Radishes
My goal is to plant another line of them in three weeks, so I can space out the harvesting


Beets
The beet seed package said that the beets could take between 5 and 21 days to emerge... and most of them appeared within 5 days.  Woot!  I will be thinning these in a few weeks as well.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips