Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Fall Honey Extraction

Last year, our one hive did not have enough surplus to extract any honey. This spring we put in two additional hives, and they were started much earlier than last year's. 



When Dave went out this fall, he felt there was enough honey to extract 6 deep frames from the hive body.  Some of the frames he pulled were not completely full.



We chose to run the extractor in the garage, because we didn't want to make a huge mess in the house, but outside we were of too much interest to the bees. For the first couple of frames, the heat gun worked well to uncap the frames. But then we had to switch to the uncapping knife.




In the end, we extracted 2 gallons of honey.

Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips