Monday, September 14, 2015

It is beginning to feel like fall!

Last week, the temperatures dropped out of the 100s and we got our first real rain in over two months - about an inch, I'm guessing. All the plants that was barely holding through the dry oven-like summer are starting to stretch their limbs and look a little lively.



Coral Honeysuckle



The Coral Honeysuckle is full of berries.  

It got hit pretty hard by the drought and many of its branches are brown and crumbly, but it should start to fill out in the next month.  I should probably get in there and put down some fertilizer before the next rain.


Purple Heart

This spring, I planted four Purple Heart; two regular variety and two variegated. They were a huge favorite with the rabbits, and the second or third time they were eaten down to nubs, they never did recover.  I decided to put the new Sage plant in its place - but just back a little.  

It was a good thing I did, because with the extra water given to the Sage shrub, all of a sudden, two of the Purple Hearts have started to re-appear.  

They are original variety.  I have not seen any signed of the variegated ones.

We'll have to wait and see if they can outlast the bunnies this fall.

Plumbago
I know just about every post for the last few weeks has included a photo of my Plumbago, but I am just so thrilled at how well it is doing!  So here is one more.




Fire Bush
This shrub has never looked better than it has this year. I just love its lush foliage and fire-cracker flowers.  



Ruellia
As soon as the rain fell and temperatures fell, the Ruellia put out a bunch of its flowers. I must admit, I am not a huge fan of this plant.  And it really needs to be dug up and divided.  But for this week, it is a beauty to behold.



Texas Compact SageEven my newly purchased and planted Texas Sage is showing a few blooms!




Turk's Cap
The transplanted Turk's Cap had a few blooms this summer, but it is pretty much in recovery mode after being uprooted and replanted.  But this Turk's Cap, still located in the front garage bed, looks gorgeous!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips